POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : beta: parallelizing BSP-building possible? : Re: beta: parallelizing BSP-building possible? Server Time
1 May 2024 13:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: beta: parallelizing BSP-building possible?
From: Lukas Winter
Date: 25 Feb 2008 10:21:36
Message: <47c2dd00$1@news.povray.org>
Am Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:17:55 +0100 schrieb Thorsten Froehlich:

> You cannot predict the depth of any subtree, which makes it rather
> expensive.
>
> 	Thorsten

This is true. However, if one thread is finished with its subtree before
another it will get a new task as soon as the other one tries to recurse.
But even if we do not reassign tasks to threads like this building in
parallel would be faster. I would try to implement this if the unix
source was also released. Unfortunately I do not own a copy of Visual
Studio.