POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Tom Austin
Date: 25 Feb 2008 09:40:43
Message: <47c2d36b$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> One of the biggest laughs I ever had was watching a news report of snow
> in a part of California where snow falls once every two or three years.
>  A car was coming up to a traffic light.  The light came on.  The brake
> lights of the car came on very clearly and brightly.  The car continued
> to move with the same speed and in the same direction.

I remember my brother driving once and doing that very same thing.
Luckily the drivers from the crossing light didn't go until he slid
through the intersection.

> I grew up in Michigan, which routinely gets a 30cm snowfall on at least
> one night every winter, and more at other times throughout the year.
> Even there the first snowfall of the year throws people for a loop
> (because after seven months of not dealing with it, the skills get
> rusty).  The Detroit area has one of the largest natural salt supplies

I was in the Detriot area for one of those events.  It was funny, yet
scary.  People were losing control on straight stretches.  I was puzzled
until I was told about the first snow thing.

Tom