POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet : Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 24 Feb 2008 19:31:18
Message: <47c20c56$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:48:03 -0700, somebody wrote:
>
>>> I don't care. A thousand years is as meaningless to me as 100 billion
>>> years.
>
>> You don't think we owe it to future generations to leave them a habitable
>> planet?
>
> No. I never signed a contractual agreement with future generations one way
> or the other. But more importantly, I won't exist after I die, much as I did
> not before I was born. It's superstitious to contemplate outside of one's
> existence. Future guilt is the modern day equivalent of original sin - both
> are religious nonsense.

I've signed no contract either. However, while I may not have kids, I
see no reason to ruin the world for my friends, family, and their
descendants either.

Guilt? Nah, more like the desire to see the world still usable for as
long as possible. I don't see us getting off of it any time soon, might
as well make sure we have a few more chances.