POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet : Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet
From: Chambers
Date: 24 Feb 2008 14:30:54
Message: <47c1c5ee@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
> If oil runs out they'll switch back to paper bags, made out of
> firs and pines, but it looks to me like gas in some form is here to stay,
> since they've figured out how to turn cellulose into sugars with bacterial
> enzymes occurring naturally in geysers. That may be part of the
> reason behind the recent increases in corn and wheat prices lately...

It's greatly behind it, and in fact is a contributor to global warming.

1) Corn used for fuel now
2) Increased demand for corn, prices go up
3) More corn harvests going to fuel
4) Shortage of corn on foreign markets
5) Local forests in SE Asia and SA slashed to make room for corn fields

Note that I read this in the local paper, so I can't vouch for its
accuracy, but the statement was made that this is already a real effect.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com