POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Chambers
Date: 24 Feb 2008 00:28:51
Message: <47c10093$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> POV-Ray, of course, gets round this problem by using more sophisticated
> mathematical techniques than simply projecting flat polygons onto a 2D
> framebuffer. I've yet to see any GPU attempt this.

Well, I wrote a vertex shader a while ago that would correctly position
a point along a Bezier patch*.  Then, rendering the patch became a
matter of passing a "net" of points in, and let the GPU handle the
actual calculation of the points.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to extend this to other functions,
and not just a Bezier calculator.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

*It even varied the granularity of the net in real time based on the
current FPS, so it would maintain a constant frame rate.  It ended up
quite nice, and I was able to have about a dozen patches on screen, with
no visible polygon edges, on my GeForce 5200.

Of course, on my 7600GT, I can render several dozen patches on screen at
once, with no visible polygon edges.  Still a far cry from modern games
(where an individual model might have 8-15 *thousand* polygons, and
there are usually several characters on screen at once), but a neat
effect anyway :)