POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not again, Bill! : Re: Not again, Bill! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not again, Bill!
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Feb 2008 19:52:06
Message: <47c0bfb6@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> in the case of Linux it's really part of the OS because device drivers
> are compiled into the kernel,

Is that still true, tho? I thought the "modules" stuff took care of
that? Like loading the encryption loopback device makes something new in
/dev (/dev/loop0) yes?

Or am I just confused?

>   Also, is a firewall an integral part of the OS, or is it just a app
> in the distro?

Clearly the ability to examine connections has to be part of the OS if
the TCP stack is part of the OS. How you decide to permit or refuse a
connection is probably in user-space if you can afford the inefficiency.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"