POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Warp
Date: 23 Feb 2008 04:48:30
Message: <47bfebed@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk

> I remember the news on this. It was exceptional conditions. It had
> rained, frozen, snowed, rained, frozen again, something like that.

> I'm pretty sure studded snow tires aren't going to make it safe to drive
> if you get the kind of conditions that let the car slide sideways at a
> sedate speed without slowing for fifty meters (like at 1:02 into the
> video).

  I don't remember ever seeing that happening here, even though that
kind of climate (varying from below and over zero celsius repeatedly
over a relatively short timespan) happens quite often.

  Studded tires do not only increase grip, they also roughen the ice,
so the more cars drive along a road, the less slippery it gets.

--
                                                          - Warp