POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 22 Feb 2008 19:19:21
Message: <47bf6689$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk
>
>   I have heard that in many places in the US they don't even know about
> the concept of winter tires (such as studded tires, which are used in
> Finland in winter), even at places where it snows. Seeing videos like
> this one seems to confirm this.
>
>   In some countries studded tires are prohibited by law (all year round)
> because they wear the road faster. Well, I suppose it's better to have
> tons of car accidents than having to repave once in a while.

I live a couple hundred miles away from the city where that video was
taken, assuming that the weather there is similar to here (and I believe
it is) I think part of the problem is that it generally snows there
between zero and a couple of times per year, and most of the time it's
only a an inch or two which melts before the day is done.  Thus it's not
really worthwhile buying snow tires, since it's only very rarely that it
snows enough that it would be at all useful (having a tire built for
rain would be much more important).  Anyone here form Portland who can
confirm / disagree with this?