POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: stbenge
Date: 22 Feb 2008 18:36:09
Message: <47bf5c69@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk
>
>   I have heard that in many places in the US they don't even know about
> the concept of winter tires (such as studded tires, which are used in
> Finland in winter), even at places where it snows. Seeing videos like
> this one seems to confirm this.
>
>   In some countries studded tires are prohibited by law (all year round)
> because they wear the road faster. Well, I suppose it's better to have
> tons of car accidents than having to repave once in a while.

Up here the lowlanders don't seem to know the difference between valley
driving and mountain driving. They think the same speed can be used for
summer and winter conditions. Yesterday my brother spotted two
off-the-road-again motorheads during the seven mile drive to the next town.

Of course, I'm not one to talk. I've found myself in at least six sticky
situations in my life. Three were in sand, the rest were in snow. It
didn't help that my Mazda truck was rear-wheel drive with a light back end.

Sam