POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : macro question : macro question Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:31:35 EDT (-0400)
  macro question
From: Jim Charter
Date: 22 Feb 2008 14:24:01
Message: <47bf2151$1@news.povray.org>
Perhaps a lazy question, I skimmed the docs couldn't find anything on this:

I recall something being said here about the relationship of macros and
#include files.  As I recall there can be some inefficiency if a
frequently called macro resides in a separate file and '#included' by
the file doing the calling?  That it is better for it to be resident in
the file from which it is called.  I seem to recall it has something to
do with memory use?  Anyway I am trying to figure out how this affects
things in compounded situations.

For instance what if I have a macro in an #included file but it is only
called once.  But IT calls a second macro multiple times.  Where is it
best to have the second macro reside?  Is there any advantage to having
it in the primary file or is it inefficient, no matter what, since it is
called from the #include file?