POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Part of this logo looks strangly familiar : Re: Part of this logo looks strangly familiar Server Time
29 Apr 2024 16:30:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Part of this logo looks strangly familiar
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Feb 2008 01:56:08
Message: <47be7208$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:36:04 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Brian Elliott wrote:
>> I've no idea who was "first" with their current logo design, but for
>> unrelated reasons, I think CP would be the most likely winner of a
>> logo/trademark suit in either case.
>
> In the USA, you actually have to be in businesses that could be confused
> before trademarks become a problem.  A trademark for an auto repair
> company isn't ever going to conflict with the trademark for a microwave
> dinner company, no matter how similar the logos.

Yep, that's pretty much the case.  I found this out myself with regards
to the name "Novell", because there's a jewelery company with the same
name ("Novell Designs" IIRC).  Similar situation - because the products
are in such different industries, nobody has a problem with the name
being the same.

Jim