POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The chart : Re: The chart Server Time
19 May 2024 04:03:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The chart
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 21 Feb 2008 14:27:04
Message: <47bdd088@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> AMD's stuff isn't as good as it used to be. From what I've heard, they're
> having some issues with their quad cores.
> My next CPU will be an intel, for the first time since the P3.

What I heard is this:

1. AMD currently don't have anything that can match the speed of Intel.

2. In order to prevent certain financial demise, AMD are *slashing* the
prices of all their products.

3. As a result, many AMD chips are extremely cheap while not actually
being all that slow - in other words, you get a lot for your money.

I was expecting to see one price/performance curve for Intel, and
another one further to the right for AMD (but not going up as high).

However, if anything, the data I have indicates that in
price/performance terms, they're both roughly equal at the moment...

I've also been hearing negative things about their 4-core Phenom chips.
Apparently they were meant to be AMD's reply to Intel, but when the
benchmarks were done, it was found that actually AMD is still lagging
miles behind (despite optimistic marketing by AMD). I also hear there
are QC issues with Phenom that they're still trying to sort out. Hmm.

If I had the money, I'd probably go with Intel too. But AMD is

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/