POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Feb 2008 11:57:48
Message: <47bdad8c@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:28:37 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

>>> Except we're back to why 'you' have the weapon in the first place.
>>
>> Well, *I* don't, because I'd want it to be stored safely.
>
> Our language really needs to (re)introduce some terms for "you" -
> singular, personal; plural personal; plural imnpersonal i.e. you go and
> help him; you, that group there, go and help him; you as a country
> should help him.

Well, it's your language - fix it. ;-)

>>  I have other
>> ways of dealing with an intruder - fortunately, where we live, that's
>> not much of a danger.  Most of the crime around here is car prowls and
>> vandalism.
>
> We've had some break-ins locally, a bit of vandalism, some stabbings in
> town; the usual kind of thing.

Stabbings, I don't think we have often here - we meet about monthly with
our local police liason (part of our community meetings), so we keep
pretty aware of what crimes are going on in the neighborhood.  There's a
bit more drug crime a few blocks west of us (the parks seem to attract it
around here), but around here it's pretty safe.

>>> 'Now look what you've done. You've got all that horrible blood on my
>>> antique' Sorry I just found that a funny thought.
>>
>> That's OK, we'd probably say something like that, because we're that
>> kind of people....
>
> Now was that "we" plural personal or plural impersonal? :-)

The royal "we".  Oh, wait, no it wasn't.  It's my wife and I. :-)

>> BTDT as well (not for a possible break-in, though) - witnessed a fight
>> out in front of our gym last week, called the cops - (a) they didn't
>> know where the liquor store was that I told them about, so I had to
>> drive around and find a street sign.  There was a cop stationed at the
>> liquor store, but they sent another car out.  Of course, by the time
>> they said they'd send a car out, the fight was long over.
>
> Similar problems when the police aren't local. Damn I'd thought I'd
> uploaded a picture to Flickr of our local police station's opening
> times; I can't find it now.

LOL!

Jim