POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Feb 2008 09:05:35
Message: <47bd852f$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> ask for a sphere, I get a sphere. Not some polygon mesh approximating
>> a sphere, but AN ACTUAL SPHERE.
>
> In the end you get a bunch of pixels approximating a sphere though, so
> as long as your polygons are roughly the same size as pixels, you won't
> get anything worse than a true sphere.

Yeah - and when does GPU rendering ever use polygons even approaching
that kind of size? Oh yeah - never.

>> Surfaces and
>> textures can be magnified arbitrarily and never look pixellated.
>
> That's just because they're procedurally generated and not textures.
> You can do the same on a GPU if you want (but usually a texture is
> faster, even a really big one, probably is in POV too for moderately
> complex textures).

Procedural textures have advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I
prefer them. But maybe that's just me. Certainly I prefer procedural
geometry to polygon meshes...

>> Reflections JUST WORK. Refraction JUST WORKS. Etc.
>
> What you mean is, the very simplistic direct reflection and refraction
> in POV "just works".  Try matching anything seen in reality (caustics,
> blurred reflections, area lights, diffuse reflection, focal blur,
> subsurface scattering) and you enter the world of parameter tweaking.

Well it works a damn site better than in GPU rendering solutions - and
that's what I was comparing it to.

(Besides, for caustics, you turn on photon mapping and adjust *one*
parameter: photon spacing. Set it too low and the caustics are a bit
blurry. Set it too high and it takes months. Experiment. Area lights are
similarly straight-forward. Radiosity takes a lot more tuning, but
photons and area lights are both quite easy.)

>> (OTOH, the fast preview you can get sounds like a useful feature. Ever
>> wait 6 hours for a render only to find out that actually it looks
>> lame? It's not funny...)
>
> I usually do lots of quicker renders first, one without radiosity/focal
> blur/area lights to make sure the geometry is placed correctly.  Then do
> a low-res render with radiosity and area lights to check that the
> colours/brightness looks ok overall.  Then maybe another high res one
> with just focal blur to make sure I have enough blur_samples.  Then
> finally do the big one with everything turned on.  And pray ;-)

Being able to get a fast but grainy preview certainly sounds useful in
this respect. I guess it depends on just *how* grainy. (I.e., how long
it takes for the image to become clear enough to tell if it needs
tweaking. Presumably that depends on what the image is...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/