POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: scott
Date: 21 Feb 2008 08:45:53
Message: <47bd8091$1@news.povray.org>
> ask for a sphere, I get a sphere. Not some polygon mesh approximating a
> sphere, but AN ACTUAL SPHERE.

In the end you get a bunch of pixels approximating a sphere though, so as
long as your polygons are roughly the same size as pixels, you won't get
anything worse than a true sphere.

> You can construct shapes of arbitrary complexity. Surfaces and textures
> can be magnified arbitrarily and never look pixellated.

That's just because they're procedurally generated and not textures.  You
can do the same on a GPU if you want (but usually a texture is faster, even
a really big one, probably is in POV too for moderately complex textures).

> Reflections JUST WORK. Refraction JUST WORKS. Etc.

What you mean is, the very simplistic direct reflection and refraction in
POV "just works".  Try matching anything seen in reality (caustics, blurred
reflections, area lights, diffuse reflection, focal blur, subsurface
scattering) and you enter the world of parameter tweaking.

> (OTOH, the fast preview you can get sounds like a useful feature. Ever
> wait 6 hours for a render only to find out that actually it looks lame?
> It's not funny...)

I usually do lots of quicker renders first, one without radiosity/focal
blur/area lights to make sure the geometry is placed correctly.  Then do a
low-res render with radiosity and area lights to check that the
colours/brightness looks ok overall.  Then maybe another high res one with
just focal blur to make sure I have enough blur_samples.  Then finally do
the big one with everything turned on.  And pray ;-)