POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Feb 2008 08:07:46
Message: <47bd77a2$1@news.povray.org>
>> I can certainly see the advantage of a "I just throw objects in and it
>> works" approach to lighting. But then, that's more or less how POV-Ray's
>> radiosity feature works. You usually don't have to twiddle the settings
>> all *that* much - it's more a question of how many years you're willing to
>> wait for the result.
>
> Just wondering... Could you show us some of your own experiments with
> radiosity in POV-Ray or is your position just theoretical? Because after
> using (and being in love with) POV-Ray's radiosity since 1996 and hundreds
> of tests and pictures later, that's not really what I've experienced.

Well, maybe my scenes aren't complicated enough then. Usually if I just
insert an empty radiosity{} block, I get a reasonable image. Sometimes I
have to tweat a few parameters and then it looks good. Occasionally it
just becomes so absurdly slow that I give up.

But then, as you know, most of my renders are pretty trivial. For
example, the image attached to the first post in this thread. I have no
idea how the hell it's possible to model something that complicated.
Surely something like that must take many months of modelling?

>> And that's the kind of worrying part - how many years will you have to
>> wait for the result from an unbiased renderer?
>
> As I said it's now used *** for actual production *** of stills (mostly
> architectural, design and even TV commercials) so apparently that's not such
> a problem, at least for commercial production with access to networks of
> fast machines and render farms.

Heh. Any algorithm can be made fast enough if you throw enough CPU power
at it. ;-) [Er, well, any linear-time algorithm anyway...]

> But even on a "normal" hobbyist machine, my
> tests with Maxwell were rather positive, i.e. it was slow, but so was
> radiosity in 1996.

OK, well that's encouraging then...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/