POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 21 Feb 2008 07:57:48
Message: <47bd754c@news.povray.org>

47bd6ea9$1@news.povray.org...

> I can certainly see the advantage of a "I just throw objects in and it
> works" approach to lighting. But then, that's more or less how POV-Ray's
> radiosity feature works. You usually don't have to twiddle the settings
> all *that* much - it's more a question of how many years you're willing to
> wait for the result.

Just wondering... Could you show us some of your own experiments with
radiosity in POV-Ray or is your position just theoretical? Because after
using (and being in love with) POV-Ray's radiosity since 1996 and hundreds
of tests and pictures later, that's not really what I've experienced. Even
when using insane settings, there are situations where you just can't get
rid of artifacts and other problems and where workarounds (or Photoshop...)
are necessary to hide them. Unbiased renderers do that naturally and
traditional high-end renderers have lots of built-in optimisation tricks
that POV-Ray just doesn't have.

> And that's the kind of worrying part - how many years will you have to
> wait for the result from an unbiased renderer?

As I said it's now used *** for actual production *** of stills (mostly
architectural, design and even TV commercials) so apparently that's not such
a problem, at least for commercial production with access to networks of
fast machines and render farms. But even on a "normal" hobbyist machine, my
tests with Maxwell were rather positive, i.e. it was slow, but so was
radiosity in 1996. My "glasses" picture that's in the "Digital art" article
in Wikipedia took 500 hours to render. For POVers, speed isn't always an
issue.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com