POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Feb 2008 04:44:49
Message: <47bd4811$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I wonder if an automatic measurement and then a threshold couldn't be
> developed. For example, if a given pixel hasn't changed color for the
> last n rays which have affected that pixel, then that pixel is done.
> When all the pixels fulfill this requirement, the image is done.

I don't know about unbaised rendering, but the Fractal Flame algorithm
is somewhat similar. (You stocastically create an image that starts off
grainy as hell and eventually progresses to being smooth.)

The author's rendering tool allows you to specify a "quality" setting.
However, the actual quality of the image isn't real closely related to
this. It turns out that the quality setting is actually just the average
number of samples/pixel that must be reached before rendering stops.
This probably wouldn't be a very good measure for unbiased rendering...

A better measure would seem to be to measure the signal to noise ratio
of the image - but then you'd need a way to seperate "signal" from
"noise"...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/