POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Motion Capture : Re: Motion Capture Server Time
4 May 2024 10:51:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion Capture
From: Chris B
Date: 21 Feb 2008 04:36:14
Message: <47bd460e@news.povray.org>
"melo" <mel### [at] coxnet> wrote in message
> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>
> Thanks Chris.
>
> Could you pls tell me what BVH files are?

It's just one of the formats used for storing motion capture data. It's
actually a proprietary format but the format is human readable and
published. See:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Courses/cs-838-1999/Jeff/BVH.html

When I was doing this sort of thing there were quite a few free animation
files in BVH format available for download, including dancing animations and
kick boxing animations that folk had captured, so I wrote a little converter
to convert BVH pose files into the format I used for POV-Person.

> Yes, "economics", the way I used in passsing was very ill-defined.  As a
> differently-abled adult, ex-engineer,  who is trying very hard to teach
> herself
> character animation.  Who feels the progress had been painstaking
> slow.

Well, it's a pretty advanced topic with lots of interesting aspects and
offshoots. It's possible to spend months just getting the animation of a
single joint looking realistic once you get into muscle deformations. How
long have you been working at it?

> You are right, even digital image capture & processing would require
> investment
> in hardware and software.

.. and time. There are so many different approaches and techniques, none of
which meet everyones requirements, so when you start digging into it it's
easy to spend a lot of time on it and quite hard to work out what's likely
to be a success.

> The information I discovered on various ways to
> accomplish this the state of technology was simply mind boggling.  Then I
> found
> myself researching 6D rotation sensors.

Ah. Now you've caught me out. What the begeebees is a 6D rotation sensor?

Regards,
Chris B.