POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: Brute force renderers Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force renderers
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Feb 2008 01:17:30
Message: <47bd177a@news.povray.org>
Nekar wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> Nekar wrote:
>>> Do scientist completely understand all the
>>> properties of light?
>> Pretty much, yes. :-)
>
> But not _perfectly_. if they understood light perfectly there wouldn't be
> any search for unified field theories, etc. :o]

They're trying to unify the stuff they understand less (nuclear forces,
gravity) with their understanding of light. QED's theory matches
experiment to 15 decimal places.

Of course, the "why does it do that" will (almost certainly) never be
understood down to the lowest level. But the properties of light? Yeah,
I don't think there's any inability to predict what light will do under
various circumstances. Unless, of course, someone comes up with
experimental evidence that doesn't fit, which is always a possibility.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?