POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Tim Cook
Date: 20 Feb 2008 22:27:53
Message: <47bcefb9$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
>> The trick is the accurate lighting.  It's not impossible to do in PoV.
>
> Unfortunately, it is.
>
> POV can do a lot of things, but there are many common lighting situations
> that are just out of reach from a practical point of view. It's not just the
> lighting model, but also the texturing model that is insufficient.

Impossible and impractical are not the same thing.  Impractical is fine
for us geeks with lots of time to fiddle on our hands.  XD

> Another feature that is sorely missing is
> efficient blurred reflection. There's a trick to do that in POV but the
> results are usable in only certain (limited) circumstances. In modern
> renderers, blurred reflection can be applied to all the materials in the
> scene, thus allowing correct specularity and (inter-)reflections, and this
> adds tremendously to realism.

Ah, I missed reading that 'efficient' bit when I hit reply.  The blurred
reflection that you can do in POV is physically accurate per
'micronormals are how you get blurred reflections anyhow'.

'course, until the next version of Moray gets released, I'm stuck with
good old POV 3.5 anyways...

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com