POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Feb 2008 15:01:25
Message: <47bc8715$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:44:59 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>> like I said, photorealism is not a matter of opinion.
>
> Sure it is.  It all depends on one's perception of the image.  You might
> look at an image and say "gee, that looks really photorealistic", and I
> might respond "are you on drugs?  Look at that shadow, that's clearly not
> right".  You might disagree about that particular shadow (whatever it is).

if I saw at a sharp shadow and said it was photorealistic, I'd sure be
on drugs. ;)

> Have you ever been to a movie with someone who thinks the CG effects are
> outstanding and "the most realistic effects they'd ever seen", only to
> tell them that they were crap effects?

People's opinions on whether something is photorealistic is irrelevant
as to whether it is or not.  The only way to test it out would be to
take a photo, model a scene similar to it and render.  Then diff the
render and the photo.