POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Landscape flyover : Re: Landscape flyover Server Time
23 Jun 2024 15:43:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Landscape flyover
From: William Tracy
Date: 20 Feb 2008 14:06:00
Message: <47bc7a18$3@news.povray.org>
Peter Hertel wrote:
> If you are going to
> use that camera angle, what about only parsing the trees in view?

Wow, that's a very neat idea.

I'm going to have to poke around some more and get a better idea of
where the bottlenecks really are--most of the time seems to be spent
actually parsing the meshes, and there's only two plant meshes in this
scene (one tree and one bush).

Cranking down the number of leaves/branches per plant made most of the
difference, but I hit a point of diminishing returns, and reduced the
total number of trees to squeeze out that last bit of performance.

So, at this point I really don't know if eliminating off-screen meshes
is going to help. Those mesh files are getting parsed anyway, and the
overhead associated with large numbers of trees seems to come simply
from the sheer number of rand() calls.

I'll play with your idea if I have time, but probably I'll just bite the
bullet and accept one or two extra seconds of parse time per frame. :-)

> Wow.. I think this is my first post here since 2003 or something...

I hope that you'll post more in the future. :-)

--
William Tracy
afi### [at] gmailcom -- wtr### [at] calpolyedu

With so many of even the larger [near-earth asteroids] remaining
undiscovered, the most likely warning today would be zero -- the first
indication of a collision would be the flash of light and the shaking of
the ground as it hit.
     -- From http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/intro_faq.cfm, allaying the
fears of the American public