POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: Brute force renderers Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force renderers
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 20 Feb 2008 14:01:45
Message: <47bc7919@news.povray.org>

47bc633d@news.povray.org...
>  I use POV-Ray relatively often to create small images for different
> things, for example at my payjob. It's great for making proof-of-concept
> type small images (until the graphical designers make the final versions).

Well I've been using POV-Ray in that fashion too, and it's still not a very
good argument, particularly as there are tools much better suited to this
kind of task, including open source ones like GIMP and Inkscape. That you do
not know how to use them is a problem on your side ;) In any case, an
unbiased renderer wouldn't have much trouble rendering small
proof-of-concept-type small images fast enough.

A better argument for maintaining separate rendering engines (all using SDL)
would be the ability to switch between them depending on the user's needs,
for instance :

- unbiased renderer
- superfast raytracing/GI engine, VRay-type
- sketch/cell renderer

Tie this with the SDL and the ability to render directly from Blender and
then we'd have a killer product...

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com