POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 20 Feb 2008 13:59:35
Message: <47bc7897$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>
>> Brute-force rendering may generate more *physically correct* renderings
>> - but that does not necessarily correlate with "better looking" results.
>> Anybody who's been doing 3D graphics for more than a few days will
>> quickly figure that one out. ;-)
>
> You are correct: I was really talking about photorealistim. But I don't
> think brute-force means you couldn't exaggerate things or create
> effects. It just means that the results are more accurate looking. Of
> course, if you want to have a large area light which casts sharp
> shadows...or transparent objects that create full shadows. :) I wouldn't
> consider that a big loss.

And *I* was merely pointing out that "more scientifically correct"
doesn't in any way directly correlate with "better looking". ;-)

[For example, take a sphere and make it reflective. It still doesn't
*look* reflective until you give it something to reflect. Indeed,
sometimes I feed scenes into POV-Ray, and they actually LOOK WRONG, even
though they are of course correct. The human eye is funny like that...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/