POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: Brute force renderers Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force renderers
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 20 Feb 2008 11:48:55
Message: <47bc59f7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>  If you
>> simply want "3D-looking graphics" there are many a lot faster and better
>> options than PovRay.
>
>   How many of them are for Linux? Of those, how many of them work without
> OpenGL?
>
>   And if something takes 5 second to render instead of 1, big deal.

Blender? Maybe it requires OpenGL. But what is the problem with OpenGL?
And for web page buttos, GIMP might also be a good candidate.

>> You discard the realism but you get it fast. I'm
>> more interested in photorealism.
>
>   A 3D button for a webpage doesn't need any more photorealism than what
> POV-Ray can offer in a 1 second render.

Ok, got me on that one :) Yes, rendering web page buttons with brute
force renderer is like killing a mosquito with a nuke. I don't know how
common it is to use POV for creating web page buttons, though...

Care to show what kind of buttons you mean?