POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need two things.. : Re: Need two things.. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:46:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need two things..
From: Alain
Date: 20 Feb 2008 10:55:45
Message: <47bc4d81$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/19 22:57:
> First, I was fairly sure that *someplace* there was a utility for
> creating POVRay textures around, which wasn't a) shareware and b) didn't
> rely in POVRay to render the texture. Am I wrong? Its just that having
> to render every time to see what the changes you make are going to look
> like is a serious pain, especially if you have to use some clunky
> interface, like the shareware TXMag to do it. I have something I want to
> do and need a simple, clear, and easily tweakable method to match
> existing textures, without having to use something that generates a
> tillable image, instead of a native texture. Nothing "recent" seems to
> do this.
Whenever you render any texture with any other application, the end result will
be different. Simply put, the other application don't have the same algorythm to
generate it's textures.

> Second, I need to make something that looks a bit like an 8 sided D&D
> dice. The plan is to texture it using one of the matched textures, add
> some metal bits too it that match others, carve into it some symbols,
> some of them also matched to textures from a game, then have the whole
> thing floating and slowly rotating on the Guild webpage. I really am not
> in the mood to try to code the textures, or the object, manually using a
> mess of CSG chopping, but I have only fiddled now and them with the
> program, so maybe I need to post on like "intermediate" instead (if we
> had such a place). lol
>
> Seriously, this is *one* thing that having the license change will help
> with. Right now you can't yank out the code that handles some of this
> stuff and really make utilities that *use* that code to produce simple
> editors, which also support the full capability of the engine. And some
> of those, for textures, or even media, would be very nice to have, so
> you can tweak settings and see what will happen *before* having to
> render some complex scene to see the result.
>
> Oh, and one thought on someone's mentioning DKBTrace. The only advantage
> I could see with it is that it has enough similar syntax that you
> *could* maybe run it on low power, low memory, systems, like Palm
> Pilots, where I don't imagine managing to get POVRay onto one of them,
> or at least have it run at all, even if you could. Its unfortunate that
> the same issue exists for its code as did for POVRay. :(

You can create a very simple test scene with 2, 3 or 4 box and apply your
textures to those boxes. Such a test scene renders prety quickly and allow you
to compare several textures side by side. That's usualy the technic I use.

There are other applications that enable you to do texture tweaking, but the end
result can't be guaranteed in all cases. You can only be confident about the
result if you use plain pigments. Anytime you have any reflection or
transparency, the end result will depend on the environment.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you've gained twenty pounds