POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : was Andrew abducted? : Re: was Andrew abducted? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: was Andrew abducted?
From: scott
Date: 20 Feb 2008 07:02:38
Message: <47bc16de@news.povray.org>
> I tried to drive *into* Reading twice. And succeeded - eventually. But it
> wasn't fun. (I especially love the one-way system, and being told to
> "perform a U-turn" at a set of traffic lights on a 4-lane road in a
> residential area. That was great...)

Hehe yes, I used to live on one side of Reading and worked on the other ...
not fun.  BTW I think Heathrow airport must receive the prize for worst
traffic congestion, but then I suppose that's only because it's been allowed
to grow to take 3x as many people as it was designed for without any changes
to the road system.

> Probably something like 80% of MK turns up in their cars for this event. I
> wouldn't be surprised if a few peeps from Northampton or somewhere like
> that too. Slowly they all congregate in the central shopping center car
> park. But when the show finishes, THEY ALL TRY TO LEAVE AT ONCE!

We have that situation here too, every week when one of our two football
teams play at home.

> Obviously, the actual car parks are stationary. But as soon as the traffic
> manages to get *out* of there, every 800 yards or so there are more and
> more turnings, the traffic volume drops off exponentially. Within about 20
> minutes there is barely any evidence that anything unusual has happened.
> (!!)

Yeh ditto here, the football stadium is cleverly placed right next to where
two autobahns cross, so immediately you have the choice of going 4 different
directions each with 3 or 4 lanes, it helps a lot.  I still have memories of
going to the British Formula 1 GP and it taking 3 or 4 hours just to get 10
miles down the road...