POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Feb 2008 13:28:36
Message: <47bb1fd4$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:59:29 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

> And lo on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:12:27 -0000, Jim Henderson
> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:15:29 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>>
>>> And lo on Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:27:10 -0000, Jim Henderson
>>> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

>>> You mean like those child-proof containers you have to get your
>>> neighbour's 11-year old to open for you :-P Seriously though shouldn't
>>> a safety catch be enough?
>>
>> You'd think so, of course some also argue that taking the safety off
>> takes time as well, and that time could be the difference between life
>> and death.
>>
>> But no, the safety locks aren't quite like a safety cap on medication
>> containers.
>
> No of course, but having a safety lock and a child lock; hey why not
> just lock it away in a gun cabinet :-P

I'm good with that.

>>> Which again defeats the purpose of a home defence weapon. If it's not
>>> accessible and easy to use what's the point in having one? You might
>>> as well stick to keeping a baseball bat by the side of the bed.
>>
>> I've got a sharp pointy weapon within easy reach should it be needed.
>
> I've an umbrella... which sounds kind of dumb until I demonstrate its
> four-foot reach and 3-inch blunted spike on the end :-)

I've got one like that as well.  The sharp pointy weapon is an antique,
but it's still quite sharp.  I wouldn't want to get the blade stained
(nor would my wife, as it's hers) if we could possibly avoid it, but it
would certainly be effective at close range.

We have had occasion to "clear" the house using a couple of them,
actually - came home and found we'd left the back door unlocked, and
*thought* we heard a noise in the basement.  Plenty of doorways to hide
behind, and the basement was clear (so all's well that ends well).

Jim