POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : custom dispersion curve : Re: custom dispersion curve Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:06:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: custom dispersion curve
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 18 Feb 2008 13:36:34
Message: <47b9d032@news.povray.org>
"AaronD" <aar### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> I want to specify the index of refraction for each color, in the number of
> steps
> that I specify (just as with dispersion) only in a customized way, for
> example:
>
> n=2 for red part of spectrum
> n=1 for middle part of spectrum
> n=3 for violet part of spectrum
>
> Since I cannot do this with the dispersion property, how can I do this?
> This
> looks like it should be very easy to implement, given that POV-Ray can
> already
> handle normal dispersion.  I just need to access the array where the
> indices
> are held, if that is how dispersion works.

Not sure about the program source code regarding that but you could do this,
before interior {} was introduced, by using averaged textures. That's
because finish {} had the ior within it in versions prior to 3.5. Checking
on that, I don't think it's backwards compatible even using the #version
change meaning you would need to use POV 3 if doing it in the SDL, if
possible at all.

I have a file made from what Daren Scott Wilson first created, and his idea
became the 'dispersion' used now in POV.

http://webpages.charter.net/omniverse/private/spectrar.zip

Maybe you can do something with it, if not the program source code. This
does NOT work in versions 3.5 or above.

--
/*bob hughes*/