POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
12 Oct 2024 07:11:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Feb 2008 13:29:58
Message: <47b9cea6$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:17:02 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

> And lo on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:53:25 -0000, Jim Henderson
> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

>>> yes, it's nobody's fault that a fucktwit can buy guns and get stoned
>>> to death and start shooting people.  It's not his parents' fault, nor
>>> his neighbors' and colleagues' fault, nor it is fault of the society
>>> he's been raised in.  Let alone the government permitting fucktwits to
>>> buy legal drugs and guns is at fault here.
>>
>> Well, we do happen to have this thing called the second amendment to
>> the constitution.  You know, the one about the right to bear arms?
>
> No disrespect aimed at Jim,

None taken.  My comment about the 2nd amendment was in the form usually
cited by members of the NRA and gun owners.  They *do* conveniently leave
out the rest of it.

> but perhaps we can start a small movement
> such that the second amendment is always quoted in full rather then just
> a latter part of it
>
> "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free
> State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be
> infringed."
>
> I know that Jim already knows the full text and I'm sure most others
> here do to, but if we all got into the habit perhaps it'll spread to the
> "fuckwits" that don't.

Here's the funny thing about it (and it just struck me) - the same people
who say that the 2nd amendment allows them to own guns "just in case the
government gets out of control" are the SAME people who say they have
nothing to hide from the government, so of course we should let them tap
our phones in order to catch "the terrorists".

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

Jim