POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
12 Oct 2024 05:09:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: nemesis
Date: 18 Feb 2008 11:49:45
Message: <47b9b729$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:25:46 -0500, nemesis wrote:
>> Someone, somewhere, would make a
>> big noise out of it, make such horrid news spread.  Unless there are no
>> survivors to tell the tale...
>
> The reach was not as great in the past as it is now.

yes, I was ready to consider that argument:  the much wider news reach
thanks to faster technology.  I think it's a valid one.

Just consider this, though:  if a well-known serial killer like Jack the
Ripper, who slaughtered prostitutes, was so well known, wouldn't the
slaughter of school students make for a much wider shock?  My point is
that criminals shooting each other or serial killers reports are
well-documented in news and fiction even in old times, while the
possibly much more shocking news of students being shot were not.

But I agree with you in that news were a lot less widespread then.  It
may also be that only a few reports are memorable enough to make it
through the ages, like Jack the Ripper or the Columbine massacre...

My gut feeling, though, is that we live in a far more cynical society
and life is worth almost nothing.