POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation works once then never. : Re: Animation works once then never. Server Time
2 May 2024 06:32:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation works once then never.
From: Chris B
Date: 18 Feb 2008 09:21:45
Message: <47b99479@news.povray.org>
"cpmac" <web### [at] cpmaccom> wrote in message
> I've seen this problem posted in 2006 but no answer. Perhaps someone can
> resolve
> the problem now.
> I've just installed 3.6.1c. I'm using XP home.
> I tried an animation - pp00animationexample01.pov - and saw Ann walking to
> nowhere. I tried another with no result. I tried
> pp00animationexample01.pov
> again. No animation. I've rebooted, reinstalled Pov. No change. There must
> be
> some simple ajustment to make somewhere to get the animations going again.

Hi,

The file pp00animationexample01.pov  is part of POV-Person the Version 2
Alpha release rather than being part of POV-Ray.  This explains why
reinstalling POV-Ray has no effect. To reinstall POV-Person you can extract
a new copy from the zip file.  If you've lost the zip file you can download
a new copy from http://www.geocities.com/povperson/.

The 'animation' you should see when you render this example file with the
POV-Ray animation options set is indeed a scene where the 'Ann' figure is
walking along against a black background. The camera and light are moved at
the same rate so that a single walk cycle can merge seamlessly with the next
walk cycle (hence she's going nowhere). As Stephen mentioned this doesn't
actually create an animation, but instead renders a set of individual images
that can be composed into an animation by using a separate animation program
(e.g. GIF Constructor Set).

If you run it twice in succession with the same POV-Ray animation settings
it should generate the same sequence of images again. When you say there was
'no result' do you mean that the sequence of frames were generated but were
all black or that there was an error message thrown and the rendering
stopped?

Regards,
Chris B.