POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Feb 2008 20:25:31
Message: <47b8de8b$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:19:07 -0500, nemesis wrote:

>> (And before you say "well, that's 1996", read the page title - it says
>> "RECENT worldwide school shootings")
>
> well, wikipedia is of course always more detailed:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

Yes, and I had a look at that page as well.

> No reports of school shootings before that.

That you've found.  Again, just because YOU didn't find it doesn't mean
it didn't happen. <sigh>

> The trend of school
> shooting has certainly grew a lot beginning in the nineties.  It far
> surpassed the political shootings in the 60's, 70's.

Hmmm, Kent state?

>> PLEASE do some research before making false declarations.
>
> I did.

Clearly not enough.  After all, I found a bunch of other incidents that
predated your statistics and it didn't take a lot of time to do so.

>> > Never heard of school shootings before, even here in Brazil's
>> > favelas...
>>
>> Just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean they haven't
>> happened.
>
> No, because daily we see in the news conflicts between cops and drug
> dealers in the favelas.  Whenever any passer-by is shot, it generates
> huge crowds, big news in TV.  If shootings happened in schools, it would
> be everywhere, politicals would show up in TV etc.

And that would've happened in the 50s or the 60s as well?  Or the 20s?
Or the 1890s?  And you know this how?

Times change.  News didn't used to be sensationalized the way it is now.

>> They seem to think that because THEY haven't seen it, it must not have
>> happened?
>
> I haven't seen UFOs.  I don't discard their existence altogether though.
> I haven't personally seen the Holocaust, but I believe those old and
> disturbing B&W photos and films were authentic.
> I haven't seen Jesus, yet I'm a believer.
>
> I haven't seen documented school shootings in past ages, nor any
> evidence of it in literary works.  I have no motives to believe our
> grandparents were living in denial.

So, you haven't seen proof of some things and you believe them, and you
haven't seen proof of other things and don't believe them.

So much for standards.

Jim