POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Weird problem : Re: Weird problem Server Time
17 May 2024 03:40:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weird problem
From: Maxime Marrow
Date: 17 Feb 2008 11:33:58
Message: <47b861f6@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:
> "Maxime Marrow" <mma### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>> Maxime Marrow wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. I started POV-Ray in compatibility mode
>>> for Windows XP. I was able to switch VMWware virtual machine in

>>> Next, I started POV-Ray without using compatibility mode and tested
>>> DirectDraw from DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag). It passed the test.
>>> Then I maximized POV-Ray and ran the test again. This time it failed:
>>>

>>> I started POV-Ray again and after that I was able to start DOS-Box in

>>> and tried to run DOS-Box again but it refused to switch to fullscreen.
>>>
>>> The video card is ATI Radeon 9600 and it seems to work fine.
>>
>> In addition to this I found that if POV-Ray is started with

>> to fullscreen, even if the POV-Ray window is maximized.
>

> Are you leaving the display color setting at 16 bit instead of 24 or 32?

The display mode that I use is 1280x1024 with 32 bit color at 60 Hz.

> I had used a Radeon 9000 (not 9600) set to 16 bit color without
> problems, something might be different for you.
> I couldn't guess if it's the video driver or POV causing the trouble,
> but if you are sure the video driver is up-to-date that would be about
> all you can do for it.

Thanks for the information.
The date of my video driver is 20.12.2007. I did some experiments:

I switched to 16 bit mode and ran the DirectDraw test (from dxdiag). It
passed.
[1]
Then I started POV-Ray (it started maximized). I ran the test again -
this time it failed. I ran the test yet again - this time it passed.
Then I closed POV-Ray. I repeated this procedure two times starting from
[1]. The result was the same.

So definitely there is a difference between 16 and 32 bit mode that
affects the ability to switch to fullscreen.

 > Seems a rare thing to hear about such graphics card problems where POV
 > is concerned.

I will try to report this issue to ATI.

Thanks,
Maxime