POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Feb 2008 19:20:24
Message: <47b77dc8$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:37:02 -0500, nemesis wrote:

>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:08:46 -0500, nemesis wrote:
>> > yes, I wonder why would it be that way.  Perhaps because those who
>> > are parents can't get on with the idea that places previously thought
>> > safe for their kids are not anymore!!
>>
>> Yes, because shootings happen in every school in the US every day. ...
>> That's not to dismiss the horrors of the shootings that occur, but
>> let's have some sense of proportion here.
>
> ok. about twice a year is more accurate. Since Columbine.

Well, I found one reference that documents 12 in the 3 years prior to
Columbine, starting with one in Moses Lake, WA, where a 14-year old
opened fire in his algebra class.

Or how about Dunblane, Scotland, where a kid killed *16* children and a
teacher, and wounded 10 others?

Both of those in 1996.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

(And before you say "well, that's 1996", read the page title - it says
"RECENT worldwide school shootings")

Now look at the crime data at http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0908221.html
- 1992-2000 shows 234 homicides at school and *24,406* deaths of kids
(homicides) aged 5-19 in that same time period away from school.

PLEASE do some research before making false declarations.

> Never heard of school shootings before, even here in Brazil's favelas...

Just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean they haven't
happened.

(General question to the group)  What is it with some people in here?
They seem to think that because THEY haven't seen it, it must not have
happened?  Because THEY don't understand it, it can't be understood?
Because it's outside THEIR realm of experience, it MUST be outside
everyone's realm of experience?

Jim