POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 16 Feb 2008 16:07:17
Message: <47b75085$1@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
 > I'm not too clear on the laws in the United States or on the specific
> reglementations on campuses etc. When are the actions of someone
> behaving like that becoming illegal exactly? Wouldn't a law give them a
> chance of realizing they are doing something wrong earlier?

Virginia Tech has a no weapon policy on it's campus. No weapon is
allowed on campus unless it is carried as part of a job. So, at least in
one case, owning the guns and keeping them in a dorm was already
illegal. Now, the 'illegal' part of it requires that someone else
notices and reports it. At that time, the person with the weapon is no
longer welcome and is trespassing.

I know Virginia also has state laws making it a big crime to bring a gun
of any kind within about 100 yards of a school. Grade schools and the
like, not colleges. I would suspect that other states have similar laws,
and that does not appear to be deterring these shooters.