POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 16 Feb 2008 08:57:42
Message: <47b6ebd6$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> I think that you are right, gun laws
> won't help. It is too late for you, (not personally) there are too many guns in
> circulation and the belief that you need a firearm to defend yourself too
> ingrained. To quote a long dead poet who died in a fight. Why, this is Hell nor
> am I out of it.

On the other hand, gun laws have to start at some point in time. If we
have to wait until there are no guns to ban them, it might take some
time indeed :-)

I'm not sure any gun law would change the mentalities or solve this kind
of problem overnight either. However, there is something I'd like to
point out. I believe some said that a gun law would not help because you
would still be able to buy firearms illegally. I do think this makes
quite a difference, because you have to step out from legality earlier
and probably some time before the fact. It takes a new level of planning
and premeditation, in a way.

I'm not too clear on the laws in the United States or on the specific
reglementations on campuses etc. When are the actions of someone
behaving like that becoming illegal exactly? Wouldn't a law give them a
chance of realizing they are doing something wrong earlier?

--
Vincent