POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: somebody
Date: 16 Feb 2008 07:14:32
Message: <47b6d3a8@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message

> I don't know that there is any more or less than there used to be, but
> there certainly is more media coverage of these terrible events.

True. There are, what, 17000 murders per year in USA, which means ~47 people
got murdered the day the shooting happened, but because it's a school, it
makes the headline news. The other 42 don't.

It really doesn't matter if people get shot at a school or bus stop.
*School* shootings is not the problem, and constitute a very minor risk and
a very minor problem/disturbance in society, when one looks at it
objectively. *Shootings* are the problem. But school shootings get an
inordinate amount of media attention.

Same thing happens in all kinds of media coverage. How many people go
missing in USA per year? But if one white, wealthy, attractive, young woman
goes missing, it busies the headlines for weeks and months.

We waste way too much time and effort with the inconsequential and miss the
forest for the trees.