POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell : Re: Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:13:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell
From: Slime
Date: 16 Feb 2008 01:06:47
Message: <47b67d77@news.povray.org>
> Maybe this would be clearer if the keyword wouldn't be hollow but
> something else. 'Hollow' does have a meaning which simply doesn't fit
> its purpose.

The thing that bugs me about "hollow," besides its ambiguity, is that I
almost always want it. My only experience with hollow is this: I make a
media filled object and render it, and there's no media. "Oops, I forgot to
say 'hollow'." I add the keyword and the image renders the way I intended.
It seems to be much more frequent that you want an object to be hollow than
that you don't.

So, I'd suggest removing it and adding a "no_media" keyword that specifies
when an object *shouldn't* allow media inside it. Even better:
"no_external_media" so that you can disallow external media while still
having internal media that is different. (For instance, a ball of red glass
in a room that has blue fog.)

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]