POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: N. Illinois Uni. Student Attack - he'd stopped his medication Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: N. Illinois Uni. Student Attack - he'd stopped his medication
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Feb 2008 23:37:51
Message: <47b6689f@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:16:22 -0500, Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:42:13 +1000, Brian Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message

>>> It seems you are closer than you were probably yet sure of.
>>
>> It's a fairly common theme in shootings like this.  Similarly we had
>> two here in Salt Lake City over the last 10 years that were similar
>> situations - people who were on medication to deal with mental
>> instabilities who owned weapons prior to their diagnosis stopped taking
>> their drugs and went off the deep end.
>>

> One thing that is glossed over is that many of the anti-depressants,
> SSRI types, have serious withdrawal. Paxil, the big one for a while, was
> a once a day pill that no one noticed had a half life of about 2.5 hours
> and was out of the blood in something over 12. Withdrawal on a daily
> basis mixed with what ever already caused the depression/anxiety/what
> ever.

Yes, some of them do have those kind of adverse effects - no doubt about
that.  For some people, the side effects are worse than others.

I really think Lewis Black got it right when he said there's no such
thing as general health guidelines, because everyone's health is
different.  While he was taking the idea to an absurd extreme (he is,
after all, a comic), the core idea does make a certain amount of sense.

Jim