POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Feb 2008 20:14:42
Message: <47b63902$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:58:36 -0500, Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:19:50 -0500, Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>>
>>>  I don't believe Cho was on Prozac.
>>
>> Ditto.  But even if she was, I have family members who have taken
>> Prozac in the past, and they never went out and killed anyone.  It
>> actually worked the way it was supposed to.
>>
> He. And since I wrote that, I did a little digging. Wiki (yeah, some
> people use that as a source) cite an article that claims he was
> prescribed Prozac during the non-detention. The article doesn't say
> anything about it actually, and I have a damned hard time believing that
> someone who skipped out on mandatory counseling would take the drugs
> they prescribed for him.

Yeah, he.  Don't know where I came up with "she" - must've been
conflating the name with Margaret Cho for some reason.

But I also would have a hard time believing that someone who skipped
their sessions took their drugs.

>> But people have different reactions to different drugs.  When I broke
>> my leg, I was prescribed Hydrocodone for the pain.  I had an adverse
>> reaction to it - it made me hallucinate.  I went for a week without any
>> real sleep (I did rest, but after I was off of it and on something
>> else, I realized that I'd been lying awake at night on the
>> Hydrocodone).
>>

> Simple cold medicine does that to me, the hallucination I mean. I only
> recently found that the "Latest, Greatest" drug out there was designed
> to get rid of that, so I can finally spend ten minutes with my parent's
> cat before my nose jumps off my face in fear.

LOL!  I mean, it isn't funny, but it is, if you know what I mean. :-)

>> My reaction is typical of < 0.1% of people who it is prescribed to.
>> That doesn't make it a bad drug, just bad for me.
>>

> Curious, I have to wonder if that was caused by the APAP, the active
> side of hydrocodone, or the inactive side.

Not really sure myself - all I know is when it became apparent that the
drug was the problem, I saw the doctor and told him what was happening
and he changed the prescription after giving a brief explanation.  I've
got a friend who worked in a hospital and learned a lot about drug
interactions, I suppose I could ask him.  He did confirm from his sources
(probably a PDR as he no longer works in the industry) that that was a
rare side effect.

Jim