POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: N. Illinois Uni. Student Attack - he'd stopped his medication Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: N. Illinois Uni. Student Attack - he'd stopped his medication
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Feb 2008 19:52:37
Message: <47b633d5$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:42:13 +1000, Brian Elliott wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>
>> Suppose that psychotic purchased the weapon prior to their break?
>>
>> Or they decided not to take their medications?
>
> It seems you are closer than you were probably yet sure of.

It's a fairly common theme in shootings like this.  Similarly we had two
here in Salt Lake City over the last 10 years that were similar
situations - people who were on medication to deal with mental
instabilities who owned weapons prior to their diagnosis stopped taking
their drugs and went off the deep end.

> Of course, it's second/third-hand and probably altered info by the time
> it comes out of a news outlet like this, but IF it eventually devolves
> as true, the case for blaming the drug / doctor / pharm. co. / AMA /
> govt / senators / media, etc., is much weaker and the "patient's"
> responsibility is firmer (besides also his responsibility as the
> "shooter").

Yep.  I tend to discount media reports as a matter of course, ever since
they've taken to not just reporting the facts but telling us (a) how to
interpret the facts, and (b) what to think.  I prefer to think for myself
rather than having someone I don't know tell me what to think.

Jim