POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Feb 2008 12:45:57
Message: <47b5cfd5$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:30:17 -0500, alphaQuad wrote:

>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:27:20 -0500, Tim Cook wrote:
>>

>> Agreed.  There is *always* personal responsibility, something that many
>> people are quick to give up by looking for someone else to blame for
>> their problems.
>

> What are you talking about? The lack of people taking personal
> responsibility for their government?

The lack of people placing the blame for a shooting where it belongs - on
the shooter.

It's a larger issue than just shootings.  For example, take the famous
Stella case - she blamed McDonald's for her burns, yet *she* is the one
who placed the hot cup of coffee between her legs *in her car* rather
than in a cupholder.

But was it her fault?  Not in her view - it was McDonald's fault for
giving her coffee that was too hot.

> By not voting?
> I vote.
> Do you?

You'd better believe it.  My wife was slated to be a poll judge in the
primaries.  I vote in every election, even though on a national level my
vote doesn't count so much (I live in Utah; I'm a liberal.  Utah
overwhelmingly votes conservative Republican on a national level).

> By not taking to the streets in mass when election fraud occurs? I was
> there.
> Were you?

I didn't picket, because that isn't what helps.  I got involved in ways
that can make a difference.

> These kind of vague comments are confusing the issue and I wonder if
> that is not your intent.

No, I'm simply saying that in today's society, people are loathe to take
personal responsibility for their own actions, and are quick to blame
"the system" rather than put the blame on the shoulders of the perp,
where it absolutely lies.

Jim