POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 15 Feb 2008 11:51:09
Message: <47b5c2fd@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:19:35 EST, "alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet>
> wrote:
>
>> Do something! Don’t just sit there like a bump on a log. Write your reps since
>> that is about the only non-violent act that can be done.
>
> No one mention your gun laws yet?
>
> Regards
> 	Stephen

Let's go one step further, and ban anyone who's ever had a psychiatric
exam from attending college.

Last year, I heard every argument about preventing violent events talked
about over and over on the local news. How guns should be outlawed, how
concealed carry permits should be allowed on campus, how people who are
slightly depressed should be instantly institutionalized, or how anyone
who was ever depressed should be kicked out of school.

It was disturbing, hearing the people on TV going on about how
depression was serious and anyone depressed should be removed from their
school before they hurt someone, all while seeing daily announcements to
students that anyone 'upset by recent events' could get counseling from
the school. Then hearing about how no one who was ever depressed should
be able to own a fire arm, and how medical records should be opened up
so anyone could know if someone was ever depressed. I never before saw
blame get shifted so much, it seemed that everyone wanted to blame
someone else. Sure, they prefaced everything with 'but of course this
one time it was the shooters fault, but we must do something!' It was
sick, seeing all of this blame being doled out by people who thought
they had a better idea on how to prevent shootings.

To your point, though, gun laws wouldn't help. Even this country raised
city-dweller knows where you buy illegal firearms. Same place you buy
moonshine. Gun laws may prevent a spur of the moment shooting, or
someone bringing a gun in just as a threat, but it won't prevent someone
who is dedicated to killing someone else.