POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell : Re: Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:29:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell
From: Chris B
Date: 15 Feb 2008 03:46:31
Message: <47b55167@news.povray.org>
"thisroad" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.47b4fdb672c7bea14915bbf10@news.povray.org...
> Triple_R, thanks for the input!  I'll play around with that and see what
> happens.  It seems like there would be a simple way to create this --
> maybe
> differencing this sphere with one that's marginally smaller would work.

If you want to see the two rings where the surfaces of the sphere and the
cylinder touch you'll need to give them some thickness. Yes, you can do this
for the sphere by differencing a smaller sphere. You can do the same for the
cylinder by differencing it with another cylinder of a smaller radius.

intersection {
  difference {
    sphere {...}  // Big Sphere
    sphere {...}  // Smaller Sphere
  }
  difference {
    cylinder {...} // Big Cylinder
    cylinder {...} // Smaller Cylinder
  }
}

You shouldn't need the 'open' keyword on the cylinder.

Regards,
Chris B.