POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Tim Cook
Date: 15 Feb 2008 03:06:28
Message: <47b54804@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
>
>> Find out what the shooter had been given by the AMA Quacks.
>> I am certain that you will find he was given fluorides or sulfides in
> place of
>> real medicine.
>
> OK, you win the cake for coming up with the most "original" scapegoat, in
> the inevitable goat safari that automatically ensues any and all such
> incidents. I sure thought something involving lambda calculus would be named
> before AMA...

Another thing I wonder...all these violent acts done by people
supposedly on medication, what percentage of people on that medication
do they represent?  How many people would be doing violent acts if
*nobody* were on those medications?

To wit:

Suppose 5 of 500,000 people on Prozac end up going on shooting rampages.
Suppose those 5 are the only incidents in a 10-year period, so one could
blame Prozac as being a cause.
But!  Suppose if none of those 500,000 people were on Prozac?  Would
there be 50 rampages in the same time period?  More?

It's like taser-related deaths vs. potential gun-related deaths were
tasers not in use.  If there are more non-fatal taser uses than likely
fatal gun uses, you go with the taser, even if you get a few deaths.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com