POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Feb 2008 07:43:45
Message: <47b43781$1@news.povray.org>
>> I played HL2 once, and didn't enjoy it very much. The scenary is far
>> too drab and boring. The enemies are all humanoids of some kind.
>
> Except the headcrabs, and the antlions, and the stalkers, and the
> heliships; but yeah I know what you mean

Stalkers are humanoid. I presume you mean Striders? :-P

>> Obviously, all the vehicles are almost completely uncontrolable.
>> Digital steering is like that.
>
> Pffh I'm using an analogue controller on the console and it's terrible.

Really? That's odd.

Still, I guess you still have digital accelerator control. Not that that
stopped me in my Perguet 205 says. >:-D

> I like the crossbow for the long range stuff, magnum for those headcrab
> carriers

I like the magnum for... everything, really. Except that you fire a
couple of shots and you are now *out* of ammo. Completely. I mean, you
get 2-dozen bullets before you can't carry any more?

The SMG *was* a damn good weapon in HL1. But in HL2 it doesn't seem to
cause much damage any more...

>> The best weapon in HL1 was the neato orange cannon - but unfortunately
>> they removed that because it was too useful and interesting.
>
> Orange cannon? Hold on....the Tau cannon, meh I never really used it
> that much.

I used it for absolutely everything. It shoots round corners, it has
amazing range, it takes down helicopters faster than a rocket launcher
(!!), and it also glows. Oh yeah - and there's no ammo around...

> Shotgun to the head for them

This requires you to actually *have* some shotgun shells. Or even
bullets for the pistol. I mean *damn*... After playing Ravenholm for
about 4 minutes, I was *out* of ammo. Of any kind. Even grenades (which,
obviously, I never use). Good thing there's so many leathal traps around...

> grav-gun for the headcrabs, and grav-gun
> buzzsaw blade for slow zombies.

You can't *kill* things with a gravity gun! (At least, except under lab
conditions anyway...)

>> And there's no healthpacks anywhere either.
>
> I do recall a dearth of such in Ravenholm

Slightly...

> As I've said it's the Mr Benn approach that irks me.

The what?

>> I haven't watched nearly enough of it to notice that. But part way
>> through, it seems the writers noticed that the more unhappy Buffy is,
>> the better the ratings are. That's when I really, really stopped
>> watching. I don't *want* Buffy to be unhappy...
>
> It goes up and down, you know a bit like real life. How far did you get,
> can you recall?

Well, ya know, first Spike was evil, then Spike couldn't actually be
evil any more but wanted to help out other evil guys, the Spike was
good, then Spike became bad again... [Said Buffy fanatic was *obsessed*
with Spike... wanted to marry him and stuff. Yes, she was a teenager.]

I do recall Spike had a rebot made that looks exactly like Buffy. And
one time Buffy was invisible and decided to start... uh... having fun
with Spike. ("No, this is a bad idea. Hey!... What are you doing down
there?... That's not fair...")

> So how many shows of Xena have you caught?

Not many. (Not even enough to work out the various characters' names.)

I do recall an episode where Xena's nemesis stole her unborn child's
soul and wanted Xena's to bring her back to the living world before she
would relinquish it. So Xena had a bunch of people hold hands and
meditate to create a non-real world to "rescue" her to... or...
something. I do remember there was lots of fighting...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/