POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet censorship in Finland : Re: Internet censorship in Finland Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet censorship in Finland
From: scott
Date: 14 Feb 2008 07:30:28
Message: <47b43464$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't think many people would link blocking a website called
>> "childporn"
>> to starting a dictatorship - get some perspective!
>
>  This is the perspective: The site contains nothing illegal ("childporn"
> is not an illegal word),

No, but anything involving child porn is likely to get blocked in a lot of
places, so it can't be a surprise that a site with that name is blocked,
regardless of the content.

> and moreover, it contains heavy criticism of
> internet censorship in Finland.

I suspect that site would have been blocked anyway no matter what its
contents were, but the fact that it contains heavy criticism of the very
organisation that decides what gets blocked, it's no wonder it's blocked.  I
mean even if the owner protests that his site shouldn't be blocked, the
officials are likely to put his request to the bottom of the pile and
generally do all they can to make sure it stays blocked.