POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Feb 2008 05:57:53
Message: <47b41eb1$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:

>> OK... so why the demands? :-P
>
> 'I liked the Antlion tunnels, the lift took me two hours to get through,
> I hate hunters..." So how about Ravenholm, what about the water/driving
> segments, which weapon did/do you favour etc.

I played HL2 once, and didn't enjoy it very much. The scenary is far too
drab and boring. The enemies are all humanoids of some kind. There's
little or no variation in the game. They took out all of the most
interesting weapons. Yawn.

Obviously, all the vehicles are almost completely uncontrolable. Digital
steering is like that.

Obviously the best weapon is the magnum. Unfortunately it fires slower
than milk float, has only 6 shots and an insane reload time. But it has
an extremely long range, and if you actually hit something with it, it
WILL die. I can't stress how important that last part is. What's the
point of shooting something if it doesn't die when you hit it?

The best weapon in HL1 was the neato orange cannon - but unfortunately
they removed that because it was too useful and interesting.

Ravenholm gave me nightmares for weeks. And weeks is how long it took to
complete because there's...just...no...ammo...anywhere. Killing those
fast zombies with a crowbar isn't even funny. And there's no healthpacks
anywhere either. So I just had to replay every tiny segment endlessly
again and again until I got lucky enough to stumble out with 2% health
left instead of 0%. It was like something out of a low-budget horror
film, and it wasn't very nice.

Ditto for Low Life in HL2:EP1. Mercifully, HL2:EP2 doesn't really
contain anything comparable. I really hate zombies...

>> There are some funny lines in there. Those aren't the ones I'd pick,
>> but sure.
>
> Not to mention the fighting, the lengthy storylines, the character
> development ...

I haven't watched nearly enough of it to notice that. But part way
through, it seems the writers noticed that the more unhappy Buffy is,
the better the ratings are. That's when I really, really stopped
watching. I don't *want* Buffy to be unhappy...

>> it's quite comic. Not something you can take too seriously, I feel.
>
> Except as I say you don't get the feeling that the actors are having
> fun, they're taking it seriously.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

>> Much like Xena...
>
> You're comparing Charmed to Xena... you are so dead :-P

I'm just trying to freak you out now. ;-)

Is it working? :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/